Horns

When I saw this paper mache deer head at the craft store, I knew I wanted to paint it. I wasn’t sure why, but I loved it. And so, for a few bucks and a couple coats of paint… The first Christmas decoration is up. (Because, you know. In Tempe we see lots of...

Roast!

This week I went to a Hatch chile roasting party at the Tucker’s house. The smell of roasting chiles might be my very favorite. (And I may have awkwardly said more than once during dinner that I would, “wear that scent as a perfume! No. Really!”...

Late July in the Desert

This morning, Nelson and I made our rounds in the neighborhood as the morning sun peaked over the eastern Valley’s mountains, greeting us with rays climbing high through wispy clouds. Phoenix in July is, to put it mildly, rather toasty. Today’s high...

Carnitas!

Last night we had a bit of a terrier party — whose parents enjoyed carnitas and corn risotto stuffed poblano peppers. Same dog: small, medium, large.   Another fun, easy night at the Heirloom Hacienda. Great company, good food, happy dogs....

Food Security

It’s been a bit since I’ve blogged about food security. The other day I received a newsletter from the Association of Arizona Food Banks. The statistics listed rattled me — a reminder that it is good to use the tiny bit of soapbox power I have to...