The month of April was dedicated to biking to work in Arizona. I took the challenge with a few coworkers. I ended up riding/taking the light rail some 533 miles. (Some will argue that the light rail miles are cheating. I am not on the highway and I wasn’t a...

Strengthen Our Net

I’ve become an advocate of sorts for the homeless of Arizona in the last few years. Working at the health department, I have seen how and why folks become homeless. There are holes in our social nets, but! But. There are also fiercely strong sections too....

Beep Beep

We are reveling in spring over here. Have I mentioned that? Have you rolled your east coast eyes so far back into your freezing brains that you just want me and my sunshine to shut up already? I know. I’m sorry. But what can I say? We are in the last throws of...

More of that saving sunshine…

Another 20 jars of citrus marmalade canned this week. (And yes, I did clean up the lip before topping these babies.) I’ve finally got this recipe down after 45 jars of jam made. This time I threw in a twist, adding a stick of cinnamon for the last 20...

Oakland Historic District

I took a walk in the neighborhood near my office this week. It is full of colorful personality:   One woman saw me taking photos and waved her hands. When I looked over, she said, “Take a picture of my house! It burned down and we rebuilt and now WE GOT...

Give Thanks

{This series of posts is intended to provide practical, easy ways to help your community — regardless of your location. In celebration of Thanksgiving and the pending holidays, may we want less and love more.}   Last week I met the new executive director of...